This is the new v2 version of this product. As compared to the previous device, this one one has the optical sensor on the top of the board itself, for easier access. The optical sensor is also protected by a clear epoxy resin to prevent electrical noise from touch.
The new smart MAX86150 from Maxim rolls three devices into one for easy measurement of vital signs: an ECG frontend, an optical pulse oximeter and an optical heart rate sensors. This breakout board helps you unlock new applications for such devices.
This means that it integrates the photoplethysmogram(PPG) and Pulse oximeter (SPO2), Electrocardiogram (ECG) and Heart rate sensor module into the same chip. A PPG is obtained by optically measuring the changes in the volume of blood over the skin tissue, whereas the Electrocardiogram sensor can detect the electrical activity of the heart. The coolest feature of this chip is that the PPG and ECG are simultaneously sampled, resulting in synchronised ECG and PPG values. This allows us to calculate the Pulse transit time (PTT) as an indirect measure of blood pressure.
What makes this breakout design unique is that both PPG as well as ECG is acquired by holding the two onboard pads with your fingers. The board provides a single I2C interface available through the QWIIC connectors on either side as well as standard breakout pins for breadboard prototyping. For a better quality ECG, it is recommended that the accompanying ECG cable be used with electrodes. Quality of ECG from the onboard pads depends on contact quality and will produce artifacts.
The board comes with an Arduino library and is compatible any processor that has an I2C port. The digital output data is stored in a 32-deep FIFO within the device With all the above features, this board is best suited for any Mobile health monitoring as well as in wearable devices.
- Single-lead electrocardiogram (ECG) front-end with dry electrode operation
- Integrated optical modules with Red and IR emitters and detectors
- Ambient light cancellation for a better SNR
- Supply voltage: 1.8V for the chip and 3.3V for the LED drivers
- One I2C interface for both ECG as well as PPG data
- ECG can be measured using the onboard metal pads as well as standard ECG electrodes
- Stereo-connector to ECG snaps cable included
- Includes ECG 3-wire cable and 10 disposable electrode pads