With proper and audible sound effects one is able to elevate the impact of their electronics project.
This incredibly small stereo amplifier is surprisingly powerful – able to deliver 2 x 2.1W channels into 4 ohm impedance speakers (@ 10% THD). Inside the miniature chip is a class D controller, able to run from 2.7V-5.5VDC. Since the amp is a class D, it’s incredibly efficient (89% efficient when driving an 8 ohm speaker at 1.5 Watt) – making it perfect for portable and battery-powered projects. It has built in thermal and over-current protection but we could barely tell it got hot. This board is a welcome upgrade to basic “LM386” amps!
The inputs of the amplifier go through 1.0uF capacitors, so they are fully ‘differential’ – if you don’t have differential outputs, simply tie the R- and L- to ground. The outputs are “Bridge Tied” – that means they connect directly to the outputs, no connection to ground. The output is a ~300KHz square wave PWM that is then ‘averaged out’ by the speaker coil – the high frequencies are not heard. All the above means that you can’t connect the output into another amplifier, it should drive the speakers directly.
Comes with a fully assembled and tested breakout board with 1.0uF input capacitors. We also include a dual mini DIP switch for setting the amplifier gain on the fly, 3.5mm screw-terminal blocks so you can easily attach/detach your speakers, and some header in case you want to plug it into a breadboard. You will be ready to rock in 15 minutes! Speakers are not included, use any 4 ohm or 8 ohm impedance speakers.
- Output Power: 2.1W at 4 ohm, 10% THD, 1.4W at 8 ohm,/ 10% THD, with 5V Supply
- PSRR: 77 dB typ @ 217 Hz with 6 dB gain
- Designed for use without an output filter, when wires are kept at under 2″-4″ long
- Four pin-selectable gains: 6dB, 12dB, 18dB and 24dB. Select with the onboard switches or by setting the G0 and G1 breakout pins (see schematic for breakout board showing gain pin settings for details)
- Excellent click-and-pop suppression
- Thermal shutdown protection
- Independent channel shutdown
- Low current draw: typ 6mA quiescent and 1.5uA in shutdown mode
- Dimensions (without 0.1″ header): 22.96mm / 0.9″ x 28.33mm / 1.11″ x 4.97mm / 0.19″
- Weight: 2.56g
Revision History: As of May 23, 2016 we’ve updated this breakout to use the TPA2012 rather than the TS2012. This is an overall-equivalent part with slightly less power output. You can use the two interchangeably for 99% of projects. The TS2012 has been discontinued!